WARNING!!!!

Warning!! Even though I read a lot I am basically the world's worst speller. So I apologize in advance for gramtical and spelling erors!

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquirel

Dear Readers,
Food and reading make up my existence. If I am not cooking or eating then I am surely reading. When I find books that both embody my passion for cooking and reading I get very excited. Like Water for Chocolate is the story of Tita, a women who lives to cook.
From the day of her birth Tita was in the kitchen. She was comforted by the smells of a cooking soup and the warmth of the oven. Her Aunt taught her the magic of cooking and from then on Tita was responsible for most of the cooking in the house.
Each chapter of the book and of Tita's life starts out with a new recipe. These recipe mark important events in her life. Her first love, her sisters wedding, her other sister elopement, many deaths, and many births. Her story is filled with up and downs in the meals that accompany them.
The book was originally written in Spanish and I believe a little of it was lost in translation. It reminds me of the numerous stories I read in high school Spanish class. There is a little disconnect in the English version. The magic the book speaks of reminds me of Mexican or Native American folk tales.
It is a very interesting book that tied together my love or food and reading. Tita's story is one of love for others and for the kitchen. I would highly recommend it!
Read on!
Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment